Sunday 28 December 2008

Curious incident of the twitters in the morning

In my house, there are three critters. The tiniest one screeches for my attention the moment I'm awake, begging for some serious head-pat and ear-rub. The three-sizes-larger critter nudges me with his paws the moment I've put my feet on the ground, thinking it's going to fetch him some beluga caviar for breakfast.
The third (and the largest) critter keeps me awake all night with constant advice on how and why I should sort my life out.
One day, the tiniest screecher went missing. I didn't find out that so soon because the day she went away, something strange happened. It may or may not have anything to do with her disappearance.
I was actually enjoying the moment of morning bliss, when the sound of a deep guttural screech just cut through my head and woke up the irritable beast in me. I was awake, but my eyes refused to open, as if too scared to see what the brouhaha was about. After all, the screech I was expecting was a pretty faint one, after having heard it everyday for the last one year.
I squinted just in time to see three-sizes-too-large sitting and making jarring sounds in the corner, just like his little counterpart. But the little furry companion was nowhere to be seen. Truth be told, I was more intrigued about this sudden inexplicable behaviour, than angry at being woken up in such a frightful manner (the screech was loud enough to scare the nightmare I was having away). There was no sign of the little one, and three-sizes was still uttering those maniacal sounds. Hmmm, still thinking.
I looked at the (largest) twitter lying next to me. She was sleeping serenely, hair forming a bedhead that would have made even Marge Simpson envious. Anyway, bedhead or not, this was serious and so I had to wake her up. I shook her a couple of times. The response was, to be honest, quite freaky. Usually, she'd cuddle up and ask for 5 more minutes or a cup of tea to be brought to the bedside. And I would happily oblige in either case. Today, she just lifted her hand... and even as I was dreading this bizarre freak of nature, started pawing me as if expecting breakfast.

(Note: The above instance took place (and was immediately written about) in the early hours of the morning, when reason and sanity take flight to leave behind a figure of mass confusion)

No comments: